Car Insurance Spain

Buying a car in Spain

To purchase a Car in Spain, you will need to produce certain documentation, this includes confirmation of your address such as the Escritura (property deed), or a rental agreement for where you live in Spain as well as, your N.I.E number and Passport. Some areas now want proof that you are registered on the padron which you can obtain from your town hall.

If you are buying a new car in Spain, from a dealer, they will normally organise all the paperwork for you, but you will have to pay any transfer tax and fees. If purchasing a second-hand car in Spain then you need to ensure all the paperwork is handled correctly to avoid incurring fines.

The vehicle seller should provide you with the impuesto sobre la circulacion de vehiculos (car tax) and the tranferencia. Most people will use a Gestor to organise the paperwork for them although this will incur you a fee. We would recommend taking a note of the vendors NIE number or copy or tarjeta de residencia or passport for your own peace of mind and it can also be used to check signatures. You should also ensure the inspection technical de vehiculos is current (ITV) This is the Spanish equivalent of the UK MOT and all cars over 4 years old must have had an annual ITV test. There is a time limit of 15 days to register the car in your name.

Most people use a Gestor, to organize the paperwork for them.

If you have an EU licence, such as, the Full UK licence, then you can use that license to drive a vehicle in Spain. You cannot obtain a Spanish driving licence without a residencia (residents permit). Whilst it is not necessary to obtain a Spanish licence, strictly speaking, you should carry a translation of your licence in Spanish, just in case you are stopped by the police. This can be obtained from the Real Automovil Club de Espana.

The alternative is to exchange your current driving licence for a Spanish licence. In order to do this you must provide copies of your passport, your driving licence, tarjeta de residencia, a medical report and the relevant form to Trafico (spanish traffic police), completed. Once they accept your paperwork you will receive a temporary licence which you should produce if stopped by the authorities.  Some weeks later you will receive your new Spanish driving licence.  Please note you should give an alternative postal address to Trafico if you do not receive post at your home and a Spanish driving licence does not have a counterpart like a UK driving licence but the photocard is identical.

Car Insurance Spain Traffic Lights

contact us for a quote

Click for a quote